I have been given this product as part of a product review through the Chronic Illness Bloggers network. Although the product was a gift, all opinions in this review remain my own and I was in no way influenced by the company.
I have a lot of products that I’ve acquired in my battle against the pain Rheumatoid Arthritis brings. Lotions, patches, creams, pills, compression braces for almost every joint in my body, and a TENS machine. Some work great, others not so much. Some were planned purchases, others acquired out of desperation (when you’re at the grocery store and your body somehow ends up in the pain relief aisle and you are looking up and down because there has to be something new).
When the opportunity to try and review the TechCare TENS massager came up, I jumped at the chance. I already own a TENS machine- I’ve had it for almost five years. Initially it was great but as my disease progressed and my pain increased, the machine couldn’t keep up. I was maxing out intensity and not getting much relief. My physical therapist tried to order me a new one yet my insurance decided that even though I lived in Maryland and my insurance policy was Maryland based, it would only be covered if I lived in Pennsylvania. Go figure.
I’m now happy that I couldn’t get a machine through my insurance because I probably wouldn’t have tried the TENS from TechCare. The TENS unit that I absolutely adore and use daily. The TENS unit that provides me with immediate, intense relief.
So why do I love this unit? Let me count the ways:
- It’s rechargeable. Ahh, no batteries! And the charge lasts for multiple uses and recharges quickly.
- Intensity. Whoa. Going from my run of the mill TENS unit (at a comparable price as well) to this has been amazing. I have yet to use the intensity above 60% and that’s with knee pain that requires surgery this week.
- Can use 4 electrodes at the same time. This is awesome. I can have one set programmed to work on my extremely painful knee and have the other set massaging my calf muscle which tightens up from pain.
- Six massage modes- tapping, acupuncture, deep tissue, foot, cupping, or a combination.
- Time- my previous TENS only allowed 20 minute treatments. This allows you to dial up to 60 minutes and keep adding time as you wish.
Here’s what is included in the box:
1 controller: this unit is lightweight, painless to operate (RA has not been kind to my hands)
3 pairs of electrodes: small oval shape, medium oval, and larger rectangle; the multiple sizes are great- small ones work well on my elbow or wrist whereas the large rectangles are perfect for my legs
2 electrode cables: this enables you to use 2 sets (4 pads) at once
1 carrying bag: dark blue, drawstring, and everything, including the charger, fits inside
1 usb charger with wall adapter: easy to charge whether it’s via your computer or a regular outlet
1 electrode pad and wire holder: these are great and my only complaint would be that the kit included a total of 3; I tend to use all 3 sets of pads and have kept the plastic sheets they came with to stick the pads on when not in use
1 user manual: this leaves a bit to be desired- although it explains how to use and care for the product, it doesn’t explain the different modes in detail
1 treatment points chart: I honestly haven’t used this- it looks very similar to the charts you would see in an acupuncturist’s office; I tend to just place the pads where I’m having pain
The bottom line:
This TENS unit from TechCare is awesome, worth its low price, and a definite must have for patients with chronic pain. Interested in purchasing one of these TENS units for yourself? Check them out on Amazon: