Disclosure: I have been given this product as part of a product review through the Chronic Illness Bloggers network. Although the product was a gift, all opinions in this review remain my own and I was in no way influenced by the company.
First things first, what in the world is a Quell (aside from a really cool word!)? In short, the Quell is a 100% drug free, wearable pain relief device. It’s designed for use by patients with chronic as well as widespread pain. But how exactly does it provide relief?
- the Quell is worn only on the upper calf where it stimulates sensory nerves
- while wearing it, Quell taps into your body’s natural pain relief response
- those stimulated sensory nerves carry neural pulses to your brain
- those neural pulses trigger a natural response that blocks pain signals, leading to widespread pain relief
Sounds similar to a TENS unit, right? Here’s what sets Quell apart:
- The technology that Quell uses, called WINS (wearable intensive nerve stimulation), is five times more powerful than traditional, over the counter TENS units
- Quell is the only over the counter electrical nerve stimulation device that has been cleared by the FDA to be used a night. This means that you can use it twenty four hours a day, seven days a week
- Quell’s OptiTherapy customizes and adjusts therapy so you receive optimal pain relief
Since Quell is available over the counter, you don’t need a prescription from your physician. This also means that your insurance will not cover the device but it is flexible spending account eligible.
Once the device arrives at your front door, it’s very easy to get started!
- Check the battery- my device arrived charged and ready to go. If yours isn’t, you just plug it in (cord and adapter are provided)
- Insert the device into the provided band and attach an electrode (super easy, it literally snaps in place)
- Remove and save the electrode’s liner and attach to your upper calf
- Using the button on the device, you calibrate it, and then you’re done!
Quell has a fantastic app that allows you to control your device and check your device’s battery and electrode stats right from your phone.
With Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia, I am in pain all day, every day, at varying degrees. I have daytime prescriptions and nighttime prescriptions, as well as breakthrough pain medications. I struggle a lot with being in pain while driving, when I cannot take strong pain medications. I also struggle a lot at night. The Quell system has helped me lower those pain levels to where they are manageable and not as overwhelming as they usually are. The device can be put in “sleep mode” which allows it to deliver pain relief continuously all night while also tracking your sleep.
My favorite things about the device:
- rechargeable- the battery doesn’t deplete quickly
- the design and look of the device- modern and clean looking
- ease of use- very simple to get started
- customer service- phenomenal and quick to respond
- sleep setting and the fact that it can track your sleep as well
Items that could use improvement:
- the price- $250 initial investment and then monthly electrode purchases can add up
- the band- after a month of use, it’s starting to show some wear and tear
- ability to wear the band somewhere other than the calf- as someone who wears a lot of tights and leggings, it’s not exactly discreet
To learn more about the Quell system and/or to purchase one of your own, click here.