Photo a Day Challenge 2014
I’ve casually participated in Fat Mum Slim’s photo a day challenges in the past but this year I’m going to try to do
January all 12 months. It’s perfect for me to start today, January 2nd, instead of yesterday. Why? Because yesterday’s prompt was lunch and I didn’t have any..
Here are the prompts for January and by clicking here will take you to Fat Mum Slim’s January page.
Today’s topic is: Begins with G
This is George my fun
I’ve tried to read the Bible from start to finish a few times. Unfortunately, I wasn’t very successful…
This time, I’m trying something new. I’ve found a great plan in my Women’s Devotional Bible, that puts the Bible’s events in chronological order. You read a little bit (about 15 minutes each day) every day, for a year. I love following plans but only when I start from the beginning. With 2014 hours away, I can’t think of a better time to start.
I’ve included a link to my Google Drive document that has the entire year’s plan in a printable format. I’d love to hear if you’ve done a similar reading plan and if you’ll be reading along with me.
Today’s Daily Prompt: My Number One
Who is the most important person in your life? Describe that person in as great a detail as you can muster and most importantly, tell us why you cherish this person.
The most important person in my life, without a doubt, is my husband. Here’s why (in no particular order):
· He is truly my best friend- I can’t imagine living life without him by my side.
· I still get excited when he calls me, even after all these years. Butterflies.
· He is the most hard-working person I’ve ever met.
· He brought me back to church, which I never imagined would be possible.
· He’s funny, just like me, so we laugh together. Often.
· He gave me 2 wonderful children that continue to amaze me.
· He’s tall, strong, and ridiculously handsome..especially when he doesn’t shave. 😉
· I can beat him at air hockey (and despite what he may tell you, he doesn’t let me win). If he ever gets up the nerve to play me in Kinect Tennis, I’ll beat him at that too.
· He challenges me to be a better person, often just by his example.
· He’s always warmer than me.
· He deals with me and my illnesses- Type 1 Diabetes & Rheumatoid Arthritis and is always there for me, no matter what.
· He loves earth tones and not having an agenda, yet still accepts me and my love for color, schedules, and pop music.
My husband loves the very berry coffee cake from Starbucks so I searched the internet for a similar recipe. After reading a ton of recipes that were close, this is what I’ve come up with and it’s awesome! Enjoy!
– 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/2 cup softened butter
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 2 large eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/2 tsp lemon zest
– 3 tbsp sour cream
– 1/3 cup milk
– 1 1/2 cups berries (fresh or thawed berries will work); well drained
Crumb Topping Ingredients
– 3 tbsp softened butter
– 1/3 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup all purpose flour
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease the sides and bottom of a 9in square pan.
– Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
– Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar.
– Add eggs one at a time and beat until fluffy.
– Add vanilla, lemon zest, and sour cream- mix well.
– Alternate adding flour mixture and milk to the batter.
– Spread 1/2 the batter evenly in the pan.
– Spread the berries on top.
– Cover the berries with the remaining batter and smooth the top.
Crumb Topping Directions
– Combine all ingredients, use fingers to mix and form crumbs.
– Spread crumbs on top of cake.
– Bake 35-45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
– Cool and serve at room temperature.
This week’s Writing Challenge: Snapshots.
At a concert. Snap. At a restaurant. Snap. Watching the sun set. Snap. These days, everything feels like a Kodak moment. What happens when you stop taking pictures, and use words to capture a moment instead?
I love birds. I have no desire to have one as a pet, I don’t own binoculars, and I could probably only identify a cardinal..yet I love them. I love seeing birds sit on a wire unfazed as a fire truck with screeching sirens passes beneath them. I love how they splash in puddles without a care in the world, on some of the most dangerous streets. I love when they fly over in a perfect V and I especially love the bird at the end of the pack who just can’t seem to fly as perfectly as his buddies.
My love for birds cannot be contained in a photograph. If you searched the internet, you could find some beautiful photos of birds. Some absolutely stunning photos. But you couldn’t capture how I feel when I’m sitting at a red light, anxious about the day before me, and I look up to see a bird sitting on the telephone wire, completely relaxed. You can’t capture how my heart feels just a bit warmer when I see birds flying in a V formation overhead.
Do not be overawed when a man grows rich, when the splendor of his house increases, for he will take nothing with him when he dies.
Started my day with this verse. A very timely reminder, especially everything around me seems to focus on money and things. My house may not be huge in size or filled with extravagant things but it is overflowing with laughter, prayer, music, and love. It’s easy to lose track of what really matters.
Today’s Daily Prompt: Precious
Who is the person in your life who can do no wrong? Describe this person and tell us why you hold them in such high esteem.
For this prompt, I have to go with my son. Although he has, and still will, do plenty of wrong, as most pre-teen boys do, he will always remain precious to me. In my eyes, his “wrongs” are never really as bad as they actually are.
Why is he so precious to me?
– He has a true sense of self. He knows who he is and never falters.
– He wakes up every morning with a smile and has done so since the day he was born.
– He cares deeply for everyone and everything. He worries about stray cats left out in the winter as much as he worries about someone being mean to his sister at school.
– He’s funny. He knows how to make me (and plenty of others) laugh out loud when you least expect it.
He may walk a few steps behind me in public, but I know he loves me and I love him, my precious boy. And that’s really all that matters.
When knitting 2 identical pieces of work (such as the pillows I’m knitting for my daughter), I prefer to complete the same number of rows for each, instead of just measuring. Usually I have a scrap piece of paper and I jot down each row I complete. Not the best method considering I often have a lot of projects going at once which means a lot of little papers as well.
Today I found this great app for my iPhone and it’s completely free!
Let me know if you use a similar app or if you’ve given this one a try!